ELMER TIMES – Thursday, April 16, 2016 – Earth Day at Appel Farm
Earth Day at Appel Farm – A Family Art Celebration
Appel Farm Arts & Music Center invites the community to a fun-filled day of Earth Day themed art projects, music and food. FREE! For the whole family! Sunday, April 24, Noon – 4pm, Appel Farm Arts and Music Center, 457 Shirley Road, Elmer, NJ.
From Noon to 4 pm, Appel Farm will open its doors to the community, beginning with a healthy, complimentary lunch from Noon – 1 pm in our dining hall. Local musician Bo Rains, and her band The Killer Beez, will perform through the afternoon. Families can drop in from Noon – 4 pm to participate in a variety of fun arts and outdoor activities – Learn how to line dance, recycle materials to make new instruments to create a family band and t-shirt art from your old shirts; learn traditional paper making technique to make one-of-a-kind decorative papers; create colorful planters from recycled food cans and learn ho to use the sun for unique printing art. More details of our workshops being offered can be found below. Guests can participate in workshops from 12:30 – 1:15pm and from 1:30 – 2:15 pm:
- Junk Jam Family Band: Using found and recycle materials, participants will build their own instruments from scratch and then join their Earth Day friends in an impromptu performance.
- Line Dancing: The Cupid Shuffle, The Electric Slide, and Cotton Eyed Joe are just a few of the dances that guests will learn in this fun workshop!
- Gardening and Tree Planting: Participants can help pant our on-site organic garden and plant over 100 trees around the 115 acres of Appel Farm’s grounds.
- Sun Printing: Participants will learn how to use the sun, light sensitive paper, garden leaves, petals and seeds to create beautiful patterns and one of a kind works of art.
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony: Join the Girl Scouts at 1:15pm as they celebrate earning their Silver Award project. Check out the new life-size chessboard, surrounding garden and new dance studio cubbies.
“We are thrilled to open our grounds to the community to celebrate Earth Day! Appel Farm has always embraced how the arts and the environment wok in harmony and on the 26th we’ll be able to share our love for both with our neighbors!” exclaims Cori Solomon, Executive Director of Appel Farm.
Earth Day at Appel Farm is made possible in part by funds from the Pascale-Sykes Foundation, the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts, the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation and the Horizon Foundation for New Jersey. Additional funding sources include foundations, corporate supporters and individual contributions by friends, Trustees and alumni of Appel Farm.