Appel Farm Arts & Music Center, founded in 1960, is located on a 115-acre campus in Elmer, New Jersey, and enjoys a respected history of providing quality arts education programming facilitated by a highly qualified staff team. Appel Farm is seeking a Senior Account, who will play a crucial role in the fiscal stability of the organization. This role will report to the Operations and Finance Director and the Executive Director.
The Senior Accountant will oversee and manage the entire finance function and act as the primary liaison to banks and other financial lending institutions. Additionally, the Senior Accountant will have the primary day-to-day responsibilities for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related aspects of the business, including but not limited to the following: general accounting, finance, forecasting, planning, transaction analysis and negotiations.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Assume full management and responsibility for all of the Company’s financial operations including: general accounting, finance, forecasting, planning, transaction analysis and negotiations, , cash flow management and financing structure.
- Ensure effective internal controls are in place, including compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reports, including the preparation of all financial statements.
- Direct and oversee the annual company audit.
- Direct all financial, project-based and departmental accounting.
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
- Perform daily bookkeeping tasks including: accounts payable processing, accounts receivable and cash receipts processing.
- Process bi-weekly payroll
- Reconcile daily cash activity
- Prepare and enter journal entries
- Prepare Form 1099’s
- Prepare grant reports and grant budgets as needed
- Oversee invoices, accounts receivables and payables for all programs.
- Oversee some aspects of human resources including: coordination of the financials
- regarding insurance benefits payroll deductions, unemployment requests, payroll
- administration, payroll tax reporting requirements, etc.
Other Job Responsibilities
- Assist in any other capacity that relates to the work of the Appel Farm.
- Participate in regular team and staff meetings.
Serve as a resource for financial oversight in regards to other major events and programs for Appel Farm, including but not limited to the annual festival(s), camp, social service, and school programs.
Qualifications and Special Requirements
- Minimum requirement: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, finance or related field
- CPA preferred
Skills and Knowledge
- Minimum 3 years prior non-profit accounting experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple ongoing projects, priorities, and deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team in a multi-tasking office environment
- Expert analytical skills and excellent command of QuickBooks and Microsoft Office applications
- Passion for arts education and youth development
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Access to a personal vehicle and ability to travel locally
- Must pass a background check
- Some lifting, items of 50 lbs. or less, may be required
- Full-Time 40-hour work week
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range for position is $55,000-$65,000 based on candidate’s experience and qualifications. Appel Farm offers a benefits package and travel reimbursement.
Interested candidates should e-mail a letter of interest and resume to Cori Solomon, Executive Director at email@example.com. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested applicants should apply soon. Interviews will occur throughout the fall, with an ideal start date in November.