Appel Farm Arts & Music Campus, Camden’s Charter School Network, and a founding board of local community leaders are working together to spread the word about the Principal position at Creativity CoLaboratory Charter School.
Creativity CoLaboratory Principal
Position Description and Application Process
Creativity CoLaboratory Charter School (C3) is in search of a dynamic Principal for New Jersey’s first ever arts-integrated, STEAM curriculum focused, 5th-8th grade middle school opening in August, 2019. The school’s mission is to create a nurturing and compelling learning community that engages young people to be their best selves. Built on the belief that children’s natural gifts are best developed when they are encouraged to connect to other students through hands-on, creative learning opportunities within an inclusive, emotionally and physically safe environment, this school will forge a new pathway for education in the nation. Using the arts as a tool to foster empathy, collaboration and problem solving skills, the students of Creativity CoLaboratory will be prepared to achieve academically and socially, becoming the world’s future leaders. The Founders of the school, now led by the Board of Trustees has created a unique approach that focuses on the core values of safety, personal growth, community, and fun. Students will explore STEAM career paths in the serene open campus setting of Appel Farm Arts & Music Campus in Elmer, New Jersey, where the school will be housed. More information about the school can be found at www.creativitycolaboratory.org.
How to Apply:
Creativity CoLaboratory Charter School will be approaching education in a unique way and likewise will be seeking a Principal who can handle thinking outside of the box.
All interested candidates should send a creative introduction, accompanied with a resume to [email protected] by April 5th, 2019. Creative introductions are an opportunity for candidates to share a small glimpse of their individuality, talents, and passions. We value all learning and delivery styles, and appreciate that talents come through many forms.
Introductions should answer the following questions:
- Why do you want this position?
- Why are you the best person for this important position? Or, what special talents do you feel you offer that would be of benefit to the mission of the school?
- What is your educational philosophy?/li>
Introductions can be sent as a link to an online site or shared through a file sharing system, emailed, or mailed to Creativity CoLaboratory Charter School at 457 Shirley Road, Elmer, NJ 08318 ATTN: Principal Introduction. Video introductions should be no more than 5 minutes long.
Applicants will be reviewed on an on-going basis until the right candidate is found.
The Principal will serve as a collaborative leader uniting the students, families, teachers and organizations involved to create a new thriving community. The Principal is responsible for developing and maintaining the mission and culture of the school. They must embrace the vision of C3 and embody its ideals through personal example. Through intentional, collaborative leadership, the Principal will lead the success of the school by developing an inclusive environment with open communication.
The Principal reports to the Board of Trustees and is held accountable for the management of the daily operations of the school, the development and implementation of policies, managing financial operations, evaluating facility issues, overseeing all aspects of faculty, and the coordination of all school activities. The Board of Trustees values a data-driven environment and will rely on the Principal to gather, track and use data effectively to ensure the intended outcomes for all stakeholders including student achievement, parent participation, and community impact.
The Principal is responsible for being available for all Board of Trustee meetings, home and school meetings, and is responsible for representing the school in all meetings with other stakeholders in the community, state, and other professional engagements.
With the core value of personal growth as a cornerstone of the school, the Principal is also responsible for ensuring professional development of all staff, beginning with a summer training program prior to the start of the academic year. The Principal will be responsible for creating an effective professional learning community and will develop this through before, during, and after school activities and weekend retreats. The Principal must engage in the teaching to maintain an active participation in the educational activities in the school. The Principal must be involved empathetically with all teaching concerns.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually by the C3 Board of Trustees and in accordance with the provisions of state law, administrative code, and the Board’s policy on evaluation of the Principal.
Reports to: Creativity CoLaboratory Board of Trustees
Terms of Employment: Beginning full-time ideally by April 15th but no later than June 10th. Contract terms and salary/benefits to be determined by the Board of Trustees. Salary range likely $75,000-$85,000 annually.
- Develop a thriving school culture aligned with the Founder’s beliefs and mission.
- Oversee all aspects of learning, instruction and assessment to ensure student achievement
- Interview, hire, supervise, and evaluate faculty and academic administrative staff as a mentor, coach and manager
- Analyze performance metrics/measures using data-driven processes
- Offer guidance, emotionally intelligent and collaborative leadership and accountability for all facets of the school’s operations.
- Evaluate adherence of the school program to its charter and ensure that all aspects of the school operation comply with the Board of Trustees policy
- Coordinate and communicate with outside organizations also supporting the operations and curriculum of the school including, but not limited to, leaders and staff from Appel Farm Arts & Music Campus and Camden Promise Charter School Network.
Minimum Qualification and Requirements:
- Belief and passion in the power of the arts for thriving individuals and communitiesFive years of experience in the field of education
- Experience leading an organization
- Experience with start-up and growth organizations
- New Jersey Supervisor certification, Principal certification or Chief School Administrator certification
- Belief in the goals and mission of Creativity CoLaboratory Charter School
- Desire, and demonstrated experience, to effect positive change
- Ability to communicate effectively to all stakeholders through excellent oral and written professional and collaborative language.
Ideal Candidates will have:
- Enduring positivity and charisma.
- Aligned values with the school, including that all children have innate talent.
- Experience and appreciation in one or more fields of the fine and performing arts.
- Experience with STEAM education initiatives.
- Experience in creating authentic Arts Integrated curriculum, project-based experiential learning environments and student-engaged assessment models.
- Understanding of collaborative problem solving and restorative justice approaches to youth development.
- Familiarity with alternative education philosophies including Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Waldorf, etc.
- Experience leading in a charter school environment.
- Business experience to support a start-up initiative.
- Ensure that all aspects of the school operation comply with the Board of Trustees policy, State law, and school contracts, N.J.S.A. 18A:17-20b;
- Report to the Board of Trustees on the needs of the school, N.J.S.A. 18A:17:17-20b;
- Advise the Board of Trustees of any changes or additions that should be made to its policies;
- Provide the Board of Trustees with such information as may be needed to ensure the making of informed decisions, N.J.S.A. 18A:17-20; and
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Trustees, N.J.S.A. 18A:17- 20b.
- Prepare, disseminate, and maintain a manual of administrative regulations;
- Evaluate the future needs of the district and recommend a school action plan including goals, objectives, and priorities of the Board of Trustees;
- Maintain written objectives to implement the school’s goals and objectives adopted by the Board of Trustees, N.J.A.C. 6:8-2.4;
- Evaluate progress toward the attainment of the school’s goals and objectives and report thereon to the Board of Trustees, N.J.A.C. 6:8-2.4; and
- Report to the Commissioner and the county Superintendent on or before August 1st of each year matters relating to the school in the manner and form prescribed by the commissioner, N.J.S.A. 18A:17-21.
- Establish and maintain a written instructional plan for the school consistent with the educational goals adopted by the Board of Trustees, N.J.A.C. 6:8-2.5;
- Coordinate the proper implementation of the instructional plan as it applies to the school;
- Evaluate at least annually the effectiveness of the program of studies and recommend such changes and additions as may be required to improve the effectiveness, N.J.S.A.18A:7 A-llb.