Jamboree Leadership Camp for 8 – 11 Year Olds
Junior Girls, ages 8 – 11, are invited to participate in Appel Farm’s Jamboree Leadership Camp. For 2 days and 2 nights, girls will take part in super fun activities that tap into their creativity WHILE exploring girl power and the role of women and girls in today’s society and in the media. This Jamboree weekend is based on the aMuse Journey for Juniors.
- Create a Prop Box to store the “props” that you will collect and make during your weekend retreat
- Interview a professional panel of women in a Press Junket and create a Casting Call log
- Write, produce and star in a mini show that tells a story about female gender roles and stereotypes
- Create a self-portrait Head Shot ala Frida Kahlo
- Collage your own Hollywood Star
On Saturday, this Jamboree is all about Theatre and the Performing Arts! In the morning, Leadership Campers will make a Prop Box where they can store the “props” they collect during their Appel Farm weekend. During a Press Junket, they will interview a panel of professional women to learn about their lives, career path and the challenges they’ve faced. In the afternoon, campers will warm-up their theatre chops by participating in a series of Improv Games and will devise a Stereotype Mini Play that explores female stereotypes. In the evening, they will have a chance to perform their plays in front of an audience of their peers, under the lights, and on the stage, of our professional Theatre.
On Sunday, gears shift and campers participate in two visual arts workshops – Self Portrait Head Shots and Hollywood Star. In Self Portrait Head Shots, campers learn about self-portraiture as they create an oil pastel self-portrait using the vibrant colors and symbolism of artist Frieda Kahlo. In Hollywood Star, campers will comb through magazines to look for images that illustrate how female stereotypes are used to sell products. These images will then be used to create a mixed media Hollywood Star.
In addition, Leadership Campers will:
- Participate in an afternoon Tea Party on Saturday
- Enjoy a S’More Bonfire with campfire songs and games
- Participate in a Candle Achievement Ceremony and celebrate with an Ice Cream Sundae party!
The cost is $130 per girl and includes all materials and meals plus cozy, indoor, sleeping accommodations. For more information or to register, please contact Melissa or Tamara at 856-358-2472 or email Melissa at [email protected] Hurry! Register now! Space is limited.