Poetry Out Loud
Appel Farm is the Proud Partner for Region 2 of New Jersey Poetry Out Loud!
Poetry Out Loud (POL) is a national poetry recitation program for all public, charter, parochial school and home school students grades 9-12, or the age/grade equivalent. Other grades are welcome to register and run the program at the school level, but do not qualify for the contest. National Poetry Out Loud is a partnership of the National Endowment for the Arts, The Poetry Foundation, and the state arts agencies of the United States.
Registration is open for this year’s New Jersey Poetry Out Loud Program!
- Click here to complete the registration form.
- A Teacher or administrator at a New Jersey public, charter, parochial school or home school organization serving grades 9-12, or the age/grade equivalent can register for the program.
- Registration closes Friday, November 29, 2019.
In New Jersey, POL is a project of the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, in collaboration with Mayo Performing Arts Center, ArtPride New Jersey Foundation and a growing list of local partners. POL Poetry Out Loud encourages students to learn about great poetry through memorization and recitation. This program helps students master public speaking skills, build self-confidence, and learn about literary history and contemporary life.
Since 2005, POL Poetry Out Loud has grown to reach more than 3 million students and 50,000 teachers from 10,000 schools in every state, Washington, DC, the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
Poetry Out Loud Region 2 Competition at Appel Farm Arts & Music Center
Appel Farm is proud to host the New Jersey Region 2 Competition of Poetry Out Loud on Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 10:00 AM. The event is free and open to the public. Contestants will present their poetry in the intimate Clare Rostan Appel Theatre. We are pleased to be the New Jersey Poetry Out Loud Region 2 partner serving schools in Salem, Cumberland, Atlantic and Cape May counties.
How does Poetry Out Loud work in New Jersey?
Any teacher or administrator at a New Jersey public, charter, parochial school or home school organization serving grades 9-12, or the age/grade equivalent can register for the program. Registered schools must implement the NJPOL program between the months of September – early January in any classroom, club or after-school program. Schools will receive:
- Free multimedia toolkits, which include: a teacher’s guide complete with lesson plans, audio and DVD support materials, and posters
- Free, flexible curriculum plan
- Updates and support from the NJPOL Coordinator and their prospective regional partner throughout the year.
Schools must plan to host a school-wide or classroom-level competition in early January. Contests should include:
- Minimum of two students
- Contest judges
- Each school selects one winner to attend a regional contest
- Any school registering for NJPOL will receive book(s) of poetry from our partner, CavanKerry Press.
For more information about Poetry Out Loud please contact Bailey Cunningham at [email protected], or explore the partner links below.
Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words.